ATHANASSOULA Evangelie (Lia)
Dynamique des Galaxies - GECO
- Numero de Bureau :N257 / 9C02, tel : +33-(0)4-91-04-41-10
- I study the evolution, structure and dynamics of disc galaxies, using numerical simulations
- I could link the dust lanes in barred spirals to their
and explain their curly central shape and their offset from the bar major axis as due to the
morphology of bar orbits.
- Using dedicated GRAPE hardware, I examined the formation of
bars in disc galaxies, highlighting the angular momentum exchange
with the dark halo at the resonances.
A bar can buckle, and form a boxy/peanut bulge.
- In collaboration with observers, I compared my simulations with data on
bars in distant galaxies, and in the
Later on, I worked on the S4G project and the associated
DAGAL EU network.
- I studied the influence of gas in bar formation and evolution,
and the coupling of dynamical and chemical effects in such processes, to model e.g. the
central parts of the Milky Way.
- I work on orbital structure theory and its link with the morphology of the various structures in disc galaxies, in particular bars.
- A summary description of my work is in a write-up here;
career aspects are mentioned here.
- List of